Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lenny Kravitz Credits Opera For Shaping His Musical Journey

"The singer is currently promoting Black and White America, his latest musical offering. The singer-songwriter's father was of Russian Jewish descent and his mother was of Bahamian and African-American decent. Lenny has explained the record's title. 'Well, I'm black and I'm white and I grew up in America,' he laughed. ' had a very rich upbringing. Not meaning money, just culturally. Just growing up between two different cultures, and having all of that at my disposal.' Lenny incorporates a number of genres into his songs. The talented musician says opera in particular helped shape his musical journey. 'grew up listening to classical, jazz, gospel, opera, funk. I sang opera too,' he said. 'was very fortunate to have that experience, but I knew that I wanted to make other kinds of music. I learnt a lot though about arranging, and harmony and theory.'" [Source]